Spirometry is an easy test done to diagnose about the functioning of lungs and is often done as part of pulmonary function tests. This test is done to check the airflow in your lungs, therefore before taking this test:
- Large meals should be avoided, so it is easier to breathe.
- Smoking should not be done
- Loose clothing should be worn, which won’t interfere with breathing.
Spirometry tests help diagnose the following conditions:
- Restrictive lung disease (such as pulmonary fibrosis)
- Chronic bronchitis
If you have previously been diagnosed with some chronic lung disorder, spirometry can be used for periodic check-ups of your breathing. Spirometry may also be done before a certain surgeries to check if, your lungs are fit enough for the operation. Additionally, spirometry is also used for occupation screening.
A spirometry test takes around 15 minutes and in this procedure,
- Both your nostrils would be closed and a breathing mask would be placed on your mouth
- Then you take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale
- You will repeat this at least three times to ensure consistent results
- A bronchodilator may be used, in the cases with breathing disorders
Spirometry is an upcoming test and is one of the latest innovations in medical industry. It is coming soon and would be made available with the best in-class equipment.